Maybe you’ve been thinking that you need a larger home. But you don’t have enough money to buy one and then cover the cost of all the work that needs to be done. Fortunately, there are several handy tips and tricks to make your present home look larger and help give it a more comfortable feel; without spending an arm and a leg.
And if you’re selling your property, these tips can be especially handy for home staging, because they really enhance the whole look and feel, which may help to attract potential buyers.
- Use warm and light colors when painting your home. This can make rooms look bigger, brighter and more inviting. A modern approach suggests painting three walls of a room in one light color and the fourth wall in a slightly darker tint of the same color.
- Ample light is very important for making rooms appear warmer and larger. Make sure windows allow lots of sunlight. Also, add some artificial lighting and configure those lights so they can brighten or dim when needed.
- Avoid too much furniture and heavy furniture. Beds that allow one to go under another (we used to call them trundle beds) are perfect for the additional bedrooms in smaller homes. Tables with built in racks also work well in small spaces.
- Accessories such as curtains, carpets, furniture covers, and various decorative items should be light in color to make a home appear brighter and larger. Don’t fill a room with excessive pillows or knick-knacks, because these just create clutter.
- Neatly store toys, magazines, papers and other items that all of us usually overlook. While these things are invisible to those of us who live in the house, visitors will find them unappealing. An important key to buyer appeal is a neat, clean home.
- Mirrors can magnify a room and make it it seem far larger than it is. Most women are fans of mirrors because they add light and depth to a home, without adding space or additional electrical illumination.
TAKE-AWAY: With these tips you can make your home look larger and more comfortable. However, if you have serious reasons for a larger home, such as a new baby coming soon or you’ll be working from home and building an office space in it, you should consider selling your current home or buying a new, larger one.